This is an old blog that I started in 2006. I keep it because it has a lot of historical data and people still come here. As of September 2016, no new updates will be made here. All new blog posts and writing/publishing related news will be posted over on my new site at www.jenniferhudsontaylor.net.

Monday, January 14, 2013

Word of Inspiration: Show Love in Action & Deed

"If someone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen, how can he love God whom he has not seen? And this commandment we have from Him: that he who loves God must love his brother also." (1 John 4:20-21)


This passage is still a stumbling block for me, not because I don't want to love people, but because some people make it so hard to love them through their deceitfulness, lying, betrayal, selfishness, anger, bitterness, and resentment. Our brothers and sisters are those who have accepted Christ, since we are all children of God. It's God's will that not even one shall perish  therefore, we must look at every person as a potential brother or sister in Christ--even if they are not yet so. God doesn't think in reality the way we do. He sees the spiritual--the future. He knows which individuals will eventually become His even if we do not. This is why, we must treat them with the same courtesy and forgiveness as He would. As this passage says, it isn't enough to say we love them, we must show it in action and deed. 

2 comments:

The other day, Ray Lewis, played his last game in Baltimore’s stadium. After 17 successful years, he’s retiring. At the end of the game he took off his jersey to reveal a shirt that said, “Psalms 91.”

I smiled at that, but then deep in my heart thought, “Yeah, but that guy was part of a double homicide. Whatever.” And there it is. I don’t believe in grace. Or, I believe in it for me, and people who have sinned like me, but there’s a whole lot of people I don’t think deserve grace.

When I see people who I think don’t deserve grace, I am reminded of ultimately how desperately I still need it.

The other day, Ray Lewis, played his last game in Baltimore’s stadium. After 17 successful years, he’s retiring. At the end of the game he took off his jersey to reveal a shirt that said, “Psalms 91.”

I smiled at that, but then deep in my heart thought, “Yeah, but that guy was part of a double homicide. Whatever.” And there it is. I don’t believe in grace. Or, I believe in it for me, and people who have sinned like me, but there’s a whole lot of people I don’t think deserve grace.

When I see people who I think don’t deserve grace, I am reminded of ultimately how desperately I still need it.

We all do this, that is why we need His mercy each day.