This is an old blog that I started in 2006. I keep it because it has a lot of historical data and people still come here. As of September 2016, no new updates will be made here. All new blog posts and writing/publishing related news will be posted over on my new site at www.jenniferhudsontaylor.net.

Friday, September 28, 2012

Endurance Is My Word Lately


By Jennifer Hudson Taylor

Today I'm going to be REAL with you all. There are days when I just want to give up--and what I mean by that is--I would love to stay in bed longer and rest and not go to work. Or take a trip somewhere and do nothing except take long walks and just enjoy the day and smell the roses. Or just write for the day.


But I have responsibilities...expectations from others...and loved ones depending on me...thus, consequences if I don't do what I'm supposed to do.

I still work a full-time job outside the home, but I continue to write as if I write full-time, and market my books and writing career as if I'm a full-time publicist. For the most part, I've learned to balance this work-life experience and juggle in time with my family and faith walk, which encompasses all that I do. 

This morning I thought about the 5,000 words I managed to write this week, and I felt so proud of myself. And then I thought of the other Facebook posts by other authors who wrote 4,000 words for the day, or the author who wrote 7,000 words for the day, and suddenly, my accomplishment didn't seem so great anymore. Then I reminded myself, they really ARE doing this full-time. It wouldn't be fair to compare myself to them. 

I could hear Joyce Meyer in my head saying, "Stop the negative thoughts!"

So I did. 

The word ENDURANCE came to mind. When I was in high school, I was a long distance runner and learned to pace myself so that I could endure the whole length of the race. Some people would set too fast of a pace and burn out before they finished. Others would set too slow of a pace and could never catch up to place in the top three winning spots. 

I'm practicing endurance with my writing by setting a pace that works for me and my lifestyle. My challenge is being consistent. If I don't give up, I WILL finish to the end. Even if I only accomplish 5,000 words for the week, it is still something. At this rate, I will complete 100,000 words in 20 weeks. I will be able to finish a full-length novel in 4 months--at least the 1st draft. 

Life's challenges still hit me this week. My mother had a TIA stroke, my daughter saw her neurologist and received a new diagnosis we're dealing with, her medications were changed that is requiring some adjustment, we had to overcome some issues with school. Life's challenges will not stop just because I have a book to write and neither will yours. 

"Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us." (Hebrews 12:1)

This verse reminds us that others are watching us as witnesses to how we live our lives and the decisions and choices we make. There will be heavy burdens that weigh us down and sin tempting us to complain and grumble or give up. As Christians, we are called to walk by faith and to endure to the end. Even when we fall, we have to get back up again.

To the best of my ability, I'm stretching my endurance to the finish line. I will endure and so will you. Have you stopped comparing yourself to others? Have you set a pace that works for you and no one else? Think about the ways you can build endurance in your life. 

4 comments:

It has been one of my words for a long time. Persistence and perseverance are two of my favorite words that go with it. Praying for you and your family. God will put people and angels around you to help you on your journey. He did for me. And He will never leave your nor forsake you. Don't compare. God's plan for you is unique. Obey Him and He will bless you. Big hugs!!!

Those are some more great words, Carrie. Thank you for the encouragement. I appreciate it!

I will be praying for you, Jennifer! God is able to give you the strength you need! :)

Philippians 4

Thank you, Suzanne! I always appreciate prayer. Blessings,