This is an old blog that I started in 2006. I keep it because it has a lot of historical data and people still come here. As of September 2016, no new updates will be made here. All new blog posts and writing/publishing related news will be posted over on my new site at www.jenniferhudsontaylor.net.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Word of Inspiration: God's Word is Our Safety Net

"But whoever listens to me will dwell safely, and will be secure without fear of evil." (Proverbs 1:33)

Fear is one of the main reasons we don't achieve our goals or reach God's greatest potential in our lives. Too many people are controlled by fear. They can't sleep, live in a state of anxiety, worry about everything, spend thousands on counseling, take medications that cause other side effects, fall into depressions, etc.  

Most of these other symptoms can be traced back to some kind of fear. Every time an angel appeared to someone in the Bible, he would say, " Do not fear," and then would proceed to give the message. The Bible is available to us as a guide. The Word is a comfort to us when we need hope and faith to believe beyond our current circumstances. This is how we "listen" to the Bible. We act on it by "obeying" the Word. This is how we dwell "safely" in God's protection. Obeying His Word keeps us from falling into the traps the enemy has set for us.

4 comments:

This is so true. I beat myself up for not reaching my dream of being a published novelist, but in the end it’s my fear of being a published novelist that stops me. And the fear that I’ll never be good enough. Thanks for the reminder Jennifer. We all need to be reminded from time to time, that God is still in control. I appreciate it.

Olivia,

For 14 years I did the same thing. Part of me knew I wouldn't make enough to quit my full-time job and I would then have to be adding deadlines and promotion to my already full working schedule. I feared I wouldn't be able to handle it all if I did get published.

Now that I'm published, I'm living through that fear. God continues to give me the grace I need. Hang in there. He won't forsake either of us!

Great article, Jennifer. Fear is the biggest roadblock to accomplishing that to which we've been called. Thanks for the great reminder of God's place in our journey. How easily we forget and anxiety takes over. I've been there, done that, and hope to avoid that detour more often. *sigh* I'm slowly learning!

Susan, Fear seems to be one of the few mountains I repeat going around. I'm a slow learner as well. Thanks for dropping by.