This is an old blog that I started in 2006. I keep it because it has a lot of historical data and people still come here. As of September 2016, no new updates will be made here. All new blog posts and writing/publishing related news will be posted over on my new site at www.jenniferhudsontaylor.net.

Friday, December 23, 2011

Joining in the Christmas Spirit

Last year we had our Christmas shopping done before the end of November. It gave us time to enjoy the season. We watched Christmas movies, read Christmas novels, baked Christmas desserts (okay, hubby and daughter did this, I taste-tested), decorated at our leisure, went to Christmas events, and viewed Christmas lights. If we went anywhere, it was to ENJOY it, not because we felt obligated or we had to buy one more thing to buy. We enjoyed coffee and hot cocoa by the fire. 

This year, the experience has been quite different. October and November were spent overcoming illnesses and grief for a lost loved one. We didn't feel like shopping, and in truth, it was the furthest thing from our minds. Now here we are a couple of days before Christmas and so much left to be done. It's the first time in 18 years, I didn't put out my Christmas Village or decorate outside. My husband and daughter finally decorated inside, while I nursed a headache and cold.

We've watched a few Christmas movies, started reading a Christmas novella, and downloaded a few Christmas songs. I still wasn't feeling the "Spirit of Christmas" until we went to the Candlelight Communion service at church last Sunday. Finally...the stirring of what Christmas is all about began in my heart and a bit of light and joy started to warm my heart. 

I'm not a Scrooge or hard-hearted, I've just struggled with the joy that I've always had in the past at this time of year. I know why, so many loved ones are suffering around me, and I feel helpless. I'm praying for them and helping when I can, but it just doesn't seem to be enough and my heart hurts for them.

For many people, Christmas isn't the happy time of year that it is for others. Some Christmases are better than others--and that's just the way life is. The good news is, even when we feel alone, we're not alone. Sadness and grief is temporary, another happy Christmas will come. For those struggling with poverty and job losses, tangible gifts aren't the true meaning of Christmas, Christ's sacrifice and unconditional love, that is the true gift. It's both priceless and free. For those who are so happy you can hardly contain yourself, embrace the moment while it lasts. Share some of your joy with someone who could use it. 

And now that I'm finally feeling the Christmas Spirit...

I want to wish you all a MERRY CHRISTMAS!

4 comments:

Merry Christmas to you as well! :)

Merry Christmas to you and yours, Jennifer! Blessings, Kara

Wishes for a bright and blessed Christmas!

Merry Christmas to you too Jennifer:) Thanks for the great posts this year!

blessings, Lorna