This is an old blog that I started in 2006. I keep it because it has a lot of historical data and people still come here. As of September 2016, no new updates will be made here. All new blog posts and writing/publishing related news will be posted over on my new site at www.jenniferhudsontaylor.net.

Thursday, September 08, 2011

Word of Inspiration: Lord, Teach Me Your Will

"Teach me to do Your will, For You are my God; Your Spirit is good. Lead me in the land of uprightness" (Psalm 143:10)

How often have you decided to do something and prayed for God to bless it and help you in the effort? If we're praying for Him to bless our efforts, then we've already decided what we're going to do. We didn't ask Him if it was His will. We didn't WAIT for the answer. Sometimes we think we're seeing signs for the correct direction, but there is a part of us that secretly hopes for a particular direction and we justify it through signs and circumstances. Our justifying habits can give us a false sense of peace about a decision. The best thing we can do is WAIT. God's answer will come.

2 comments:

Boy, have I been guilty of this! I have always struggled with praying for something, knowing how I want it to turn out, and then seeing “signs” everywhere that I should do as I wish. Every time I have done so, it has turned into a disaster! But through each of those disasters, God has taught me very valuable lessons. I have learned that I need to seek Him and wait on Him for an answer. Sometimes answers come quickly, other times they come slowly. In my experiences, sometimes God gives us what we are asking for at that moment, only to have the end result be something different than we had planned. However it turns out, it is a comfort to know that God always has our best interests in mind, and that He sees the entire picture, while we only see what is right in front of us. I have to remind myself often that if I could see all that God can, I would not want it any different. Thank you for the reminder!

Emma,

Me too! I'm praying about a door I'm hoping God will open, but I'm also praying that He'll close any doors I'm not meant to walk through. So hard to know His will sometimes, thus the waiting.