This is an old blog that I started in 2006. I keep it because it has a lot of historical data and people still come here. As of September 2016, no new updates will be made here. All new blog posts and writing/publishing related news will be posted over on my new site at www.jenniferhudsontaylor.net.

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

We were Created to be Centenarians

By Jennifer Hudson Taylor

We all talk about living healthy and having a long productive life, but what does that mean? Do we plan our retirement years to last until our 70's, our 80's, our 90's, or should we have a vast, optimistic view on longevity of life and plan for retirement beyond 100 years?

And the LORD said, “My Spirit shall not strive with man forever, for he is indeed flesh; yet his days shall be one hundred and twenty years.” (Genesis 6:3) We were created to be centenarians--to live beyond 100--and I believe we will, as long as we adopt the mindset of a centenarian.

The Mindset of a Centenarian
In the last 20 years, the number of centenarians in the U.S. has more than doubled to 72,000 and is projected to double again by the year 2020, according to the US Census Bureau. Some of this increase in centenarians is due to better medical care and a significant drop in the mortality rate of children in the early 1900's. (Number of Centenarians is Booming in U.S.)

In spite of advancements in technology and medical care, most centenarians have a few things in common. They:
  • Make common sense health decisions, such as not smoking and keeping their weight down
  • Stay active and social
  • Have a positive attitude 
  • Love life and have a sense of humor
  • Spirituality
  • Courage
  • The ability to accept losses that come with age, but not be stopped by them
  • Never quit
Many of these characteristics are choices and mindsets we can adopt into our lives. If you study the Word of God closely enough, they are also biblically-based. My great-grandmother lived from 1900 to 2000. Her sister lived to be 106. I know that I have the genes and it IS possible. 

Why People Don't Live to be Centenarians
The enemy comes to kill, steal and to destroy. He tempts us to live in ways that will steal our years by trying to steal our joy, our health, and our peace. 

People who don't feel joyful are depressed and oppressed. They don't take care of themselves as they should. They don't exercise, socialize or get out and breathe fresh air. Instead, the weather is never good enough for them--too hot, too cold, too windy, might storm. Or there is always an excuse. They're not in the mood for a walk, their feet hurt, or their allergies will bother them. 

We were created to LIVE! 

So LIVE!

Some become defeated by health issues and concerns. They get tired of battling and fighting. Sometimes our bodies give up regardless of our will and mindset, but other times, we give up on our bodies. I've heard too many people say, "I have bad knees so I can't exercise." Well, I'm sure they can do something. They need to find what that "something" is and do it--not sit around and do nothing. The weight piles on, the heart is never exercised, and their body is deteriorating through lack of activity.

A lack of peace will cause anxiety, stress and constant worry. This wears and tears on our bodies in other ways. But a simple walk helps get that anxiety out of us. Walking helps us sleep better. Sometimes is a matter of stepping out in faith and giving that worry to God--let Him keep it and don't try to take it back. Accept the situation and move on. Make the best of it. 

Are there any Centenarians in your family? Have you started adopting the mindset of a centenarian? What are some other characteristics of a centenarian that I might not have mentioned?

2 comments:

What an inspiring post! My paternal grandmother lived to 93 and I hope I do the same. If so that would mean I'm just slightly over the hump and I better get back on the horse and do something about it! Actually, I have started to change my diet and exercise some which is difficult given I have a congenital joint disorder, but like you said there is something I can do so I'm trying.

Carla, Good for you! Keep trying. That's all any of us can do. Blessings,