This is an old blog that I started in 2006. I keep it because it has a lot of historical data and people still come here. As of September 2016, no new updates will be made here. All new blog posts and writing/publishing related news will be posted over on my new site at www.jenniferhudsontaylor.net.

Monday, February 21, 2011

Benefits of Pre-Ordering Books

The advantages of pre-ordering a book before it's released:

  • By pre-ordering books at your local bookstore, you don't have to try and remember when it comes out. The book will be on hold for you when it comes out and they will notify you as soon as it's available.
  • You are guaranteed a copy. When my debut novel, Highland Blessings, first released, some stores only ordered one or two copies and they sold out within the first few weeks. This even occurred on Amazon.com and Amazon Canada and they typically have several copies at their distribution center. This caused several people to wait and people were driving all over my hometown looking for copies.
  • Often, you get a DISCOUNT when you pre-order a book. Saving money is always a plus
  • If you pre-order on Amazon and the price drops on sale by the release date, Amazon will only charge you for the sale price, not the price it was when you actually placed your pre-order. This is true for both print and Kindle e-books.  

    Do you ever pre-order books? Why or why not?

2 comments:

I pre-ordered a book for the first time that released earlier this month and I have to say, I will NEVER pre-order again. I was charged full price instead of half which was the main reason I pre-ordered it. So I had to go through the hassle of getting that fixed. I didn't get my book until 5 days after it had been out because of shipping. I was charged ahipping which was supposed to be free so I had to call again and get that adjusted. It was a nightmare, never again!

Karmen, I'm sorry you had such an awful experience. I've pre-ordered from Amazon, Cokesbury and B&N, but I've never had any of those problems. I understand how you feel.