This is an old blog that I started in 2006. I keep it because it has a lot of historical data and people still come here. As of September 2016, no new updates will be made here. All new blog posts and writing/publishing related news will be posted over on my new site at www.jenniferhudsontaylor.net.

Friday, December 17, 2010

What's Your Favorite Christmas Song?


By Jennifer Hudson Taylor

My favorite Christmas song is O' Holy Night. Doesn't the sound of that go along with my burning candle? My dad loves The Little Drummer Boy. What's your favorite?

This year we are struggling to get into the Christmas spirit, which is quite unusual for me. A few years ago, I'd be singing and playing Christmas songs in October and driving everyone in my family nuts by Christmas. This year I haven't felt that joy and neither has my husband. I think it may be because we know we're losing a loved one. While we are thankful to have one more Christmas with him, it doesn't take away the sadness that it is the last. 

If you haven't seen one of my previous posts, my father-in-law is dying of stage 4 lung cancer. He has a PET scan next week to see if it has spread. He's now coughing up a lot of blood and we are told this is normal, but he's starting to have quite a bit of pain that is concerning us. 


After my husband told me about their doctor visit yesterday, it made me wonder about how such a thing was diagnosed in the past. Before all the CT and PET scans and MRI's, how was cancer diagnosed or was it? With him coughing up so much blood, would they have misdiagnosed him as having TB? I wonder how many people were thought to have TB, but really had lung cancer or something else?


All this wondering brings me to another question. (Can you tell I'm an analyzer?) Is it better to know you only have 3-6 months to die, or not know? People in the 18th and 19th centuries didn't always know. They might have noticed failing health, but they didn't know how long they could go on feeling like so weak and different. Or perhaps, it's worse to know you aren't feeling well, but NOT why. Sometimes it's the NOT KNOWING that can drive us as bonkers as THE KNOWING. 


Forgive me for the sporadic blog posts this week. I wasn't sure what to write about and my thoughts weren't always on the focus of this blog. In spite of our recent news, and the news that my father must have some minor upcoming surgeries, I HAVE been writing as it is often my therapy. However, I've been experiencing a lack of energy, which I'm hoping to overcome after the holidays. My husband and I plan to put ourselves on a new healthy diet, and get back on an exercise schedule. I do believe that will help. 


We appreciate everyone's prayers. So many have written to say that you are praying for our family and we are so thankful. Bless you!


Don't forget to tell which Christmas song is your favorite! Today I'm focusing on HAPPY thoughts and Christmas parties and spending time with friends.

10 comments:

I am so sorry about your father-in-law. ((HUGS)) Sometimes I think I would like to know so I can say my goodbyes to everyone and maybe get things in order but actually I don't want to know.

I have always liked Silent Night sung with candles in church.

The older I get the more I can't decide on a favorite. True with songs, books, movies, etc.

Have you checked out Jordyn Redwood's blog? She may have some answers to your questions.

As for knowing how much longer you have to live (and none of us really knows, do we?), I would like to know. Then you can express your love to family and friends (which we should do on a daily basis anyway, but often do not).

My prayers are with you.

My prayers for your father-in-law. It is amazing, that with all the modern technology, when God calls us to suffer and then go home to be with Him, the best technology merely prolongs it a short time. Perhaps the technology is God's way of helping us get our lives in order. As we age, my husband and I are learning this.
Now, as to my favorite Christmas carol: "Thou Who Was Rich beyond all Splendor" by Frank Houghton, 1894-1972. Tune: "Quelle est cette odeur agreable". I wish we sang it more often. Unfortunately, I haven't been to church this Advent season because of snow cancellation. :-(

I'm with you - O Holy Night!
I'm praying for your father-in-law.

Praying for you all, Jennifer! My dad went home to be with the Lord last December 16th, but he was 82 years old and lived a long and happy life. Knowing he was saved and ready to go home, made it so much easier to say goodbye, but doesn't take away the fact that we all miss him. I know that seeing your father in law in pain is also wearing on you. Just take this time to say all that you need to say and encourage your husband to do the same. Knowing the time is near gives you that opportunity.

I love Christmas songs, but can't pick a favorite...I've written several too!

Ive always loved O Come Emmanuel and The Christmas Song (Chestnuts roasting..). There are so many it's hard to choose.
Merry Christmas!

It's weird to read your post. I was thinking the same thing last week. My husband's first cousin has cancer. She's only in her early 30's and it had spread rapidly to her bones and liver. I asked myself would I rather know, or not know, the timeline for when I'd die? I'd rather not know. I'm sorry about your father-in-law. So sorry. My father-in-law isn't well, although, thank God, he is better than he was. I'll be thinking about your family this year.

On another note, my favorite Christmas carol is hard to pick. ONE of my favorites is "It Came Upon A Midnight Clear."

There are to many good ones to choose from, but if I had to pick just one I would say Silent Night.. But I was watching this adorable video of kids talking about/singing their favorite songs and I definitely have a new appreciation for Jingle Bells! khttp://video.msg.com/Home/MSG-KidCam-Holiday-Songs-Special

Thanks everyone for the prayers!

I keep going back and forth on whether I'd want to know or not, but I guess I'd rather know so I can say my goodbyes to loved ones and drop "projects" that I wouldn't be able to finish and spend my time the way I'd want.

The saying "live each day as if it's your last" is unrealistic. I can tell you, I wouldn't be spending my last day at work with co-workers instead of enjoying quality time with family if I had a choice on my last day. But to live life, I need my job, so I can't live each day the way I'd want. I know it probably means around those perimeters, but still...

Jenn,

As you know I truly understand. Only God knows how many days we have here on earth.

Losing a loved one is the hardest emotion a person could go through. Knowing he will be in the arms of Jesus is a wonderful comfort to your family.

My prayers are with you and your husband, and the family.

I love Silent Night. The other song I love is Mary Did You Know, Amber does a beautiful dance to this song.