This is an old blog that I started in 2006. I keep it because it has a lot of historical data and people still come here. As of September 2016, no new updates will be made here. All new blog posts and writing/publishing related news will be posted over on my new site at www.jenniferhudsontaylor.net.

Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Book Review - "The Master's Wall" by Sandi Rog


By Jennifer Hudson Taylor

Once I started reading The Master's Wall, I was hooked and frustrated when I had to lay it down to take care of real daily life. I loved how this book begins with the hero and heroine as children and how they grow up knowing each other as best friends and then their relationship transitions into the attraction of adulthood. It takes place in biblical Rome, a time when children were expected to grow up as young as twelve, thirteen and fourteen. By the end of the book, the heroine is only fourteen and considered grown. When I think of my own thirteen year old, it makes my mind spin. 

The hero is thrust into the role of the protector, but at one point in the book he feels betrayed by the heroine--and rightly so. It's a beautiful story of love, redemption, forgiveness and great sacrifice--the ultimate sacrifice. The hero shares his faith in spite of all the odds against him, knowing he could lose his life in a world of pagan gods. When it seems like there is no hope for escape, a realistic solution and deliverance happens to bring the story 360 degrees to a happy and satisfying ending. Yet, you'll remain on the edge of your seat, flipping the pages until the very last page. 

The Master's Wall has become one of my all-time favorite books. I think it is right up there with Redeeming Love--and that is saying a lot since Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers is my favorite book. 

I did read one review that criticized the book for some minor historical errors. I am not an expert on biblical history and Rome, and therefore, was not bothered by the things this one reviewer pointed out. My advice is to read The Master's Wall and enjoy this great story!

Back Cover Description

He fights for his freedom. She fights for her life. Together, they fight for each other. 
After watching Roman soldiers drag his parents away to their death, David, a young Hebrew, is sold and enslaved to serve at a villa outside of Rome. As David trains to become a skilled fighter, he works hard to please his master and hopes to earn his freedom. However, an opportunity to escape tempts him with its whispering call. Freedom beckons, but invisible chains hold him captive to the master's granddaughter, an innocent girl with a fiery spirit. David vows to protect Alethea from his master, the murderous patriarch, and contrives a daring plan—sacrifice his own life to save hers. 

0 comments: