This is an old blog that I started in 2006. I keep it because it has a lot of historical data and people still come here. As of September 2016, no new updates will be made here. All new blog posts and writing/publishing related news will be posted over on my new site at www.jenniferhudsontaylor.net.

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Happy Veterans Day--And Thank You!


By Jennifer Hudson Taylor

In 1919, President Woodrow Wilson first proclaimed Armistice Day on November 11th, declaring,

"To us in America, the reflections of Armistice Day will be filled with lots of pride in the heroism of those who died in the country's service and with gratitude for the victory, both because of the thing from which it has freed us and because of the opportunity it has given America to show her sympathy with peace and justice in the councils of the nations."
 As with many things, one person will come up with a great idea, and years later another person will develop an even better idea to expand the original thought into something even more. In 1953, Alfred King, a shoe store owner in Kansas began a campaign to expand Armistice Day to not only include those who served in WWI, but ALL veterans. As a result, in 1954 Congress amended the Act to replace "Armistice" with "Veterans". November 11th has been known as Veterans Day ever since!

To all who now serve and have ever served our country, THANK YOU for making this nation a much better home of the land of free and brave. Your hard work and sacrifice is not in vain nor is it ever forgotten. May God bless you and your children a hundredfold!

To the Veterans in my Family Tree, THANK YOU for risking your life to travel to an unknown world, for building a new home in the wild wilderness, and for fighting to keep it and protect it. I appreciate your making this nation a republic for the people by the people--and one nation under God with individual liberty and justice for all!

Alexander Smith, Private-Continental Army, b. May 30, 1747 (my 6th great-grandfather)

Jesse Hudson, Private-War of 1812, b. abt. 1790 (my 4th great-grandfather)


George Washington Hudson, Confederate Army, b. 1846 (my 2nd great-grandfather) 
John Wesley Hudson, Confederate Army, b. 1836 (my 2nd great-grand-uncle)

John Wesley Watkins, Confederate Army, b. abt. 1825 (my 3rd great-grand-uncle)
Willian Joseph Watkins, Confederate Army, b. abt. 1827 (my 3rd great-grand-uncle)
Green Berry Watkins, Confederate Army, b. abt. 1830 (my 3rd great-grand-uncle)
Winston Watkins, Confederate Army, b. abt. 1833 (my 3rd great-grand-uncle)
Horsely P. Watkins, Confederate Army, b. abt. 1837 (my 3rd great-grandfather)
Hiram Smith Watkins, Confederate Army, b. abt. 1834 (my 3rd great-grandfather)
Andrew Jackson Watkins, Confederate Army, b. abt. 1845 (my 3rd great-grand-uncle)
George Washington Watkins, Confederate Army, b. abt. 1845 (my 3rd great-grand-uncle)


Thomas Gregory, Confederate Army, b. abt. 1839 (my 3rd great-grandfather)

Calvin Saferight, Confederate Army, b. abt. 1820 (my 3rd great-grand-uncle)
Emsley Saferight, Confederate Army, b. abt. 1821 (my 3rd great-grand-uncle)

Peter Judson Hersely Watkins, Private-WWI, b. 1899 (my great-grandfather)
Bennie Thomas Hudson, Private-WWI, b. 1886 (my great-grandfather)


James Carlton Watkins, WWII, b. 1933 (my grand-uncle)

2 comments:

What an awesome legacy of service you have in your family, Jennifer. Thank YOU for sharing this. And thanks for stopping by my blog.

Joanne,

Thank you! And I'm glad I found your blog.