This is an old blog that I started in 2006. I keep it because it has a lot of historical data and people still come here. As of September 2016, no new updates will be made here. All new blog posts and writing/publishing related news will be posted over on my new site at www.jenniferhudsontaylor.net.

Monday, November 15, 2010

Contests for Published Authors with Inspirational Categories

By Jennifer Hudson Taylor

It's that time of year when writing contests start ramping up. As I'm researching contests to enter my debut novel, Highland Blessings, I thought it might be beneficial to others if I shared the information I've gathered. 

In the past, I've always concentrated on unpublished contests, as I wasn't eligible to enter anything for published authors. This isn't an exhaustive list, but you can find additional lists for writing contests on the Seekerville Blog, as well as Romance Writers of America's (RWA) Romance Writers Report. Another great source is Sally Stuart's Christian Writers' Market Guide. All of these resources include contests for published and unpublished writers.

However, if you write Christian fiction, it may be beneficial to have a list that only includes Inspirational categories as I have done here. I will attempt to include additional list for unpublished writers with Inspirational categories next week. 

Contests for Published Authors with Inspirational Categories
The list is in order of the deadline date to help you establish your calendar priorities. Specific deadline dates may not be known at this time, but only a general time frame. In this case, I've simply listed the month(s) of when the contest deadline is generally known to be. I've also included a link to the hosting writing organization so you can click right to their site for additional information on eligibility requirements, contest rules, and entry instructions.

National Readers' Choice Awards
Dec 1, 2011
Oklahoma Romance Writers
$25, plus $5 for Best First Book
Submit 5 books


Holt Medallion Awards
Dec/Jan 2011
Virginia Romance Writers
$30
Submit 4 books

Golden Quill Award
Jan 10, 2011
Desert Rose RWA
$30
Submit 5 copies

Write Touch Readers' Choice Awards
Jan 11, 2011
Wisconsin Romance Writers
$25
Submit 3 copies

Gayle Wilson Award of Excellence
Jan 15, 2010
Southern Magic Romance Writers (Birmingham, AL)
$30
Submit 3 books

Bookseller's Best Award
Jan 15, 2011
Greater Detroit Romance Writers
$27, plus $6 for Best First Book by Feb 20, 2011
Submit 4 copies
Winter Rose Contest
Jan 2011
Yellow Rose RWA
$25
Submit 4 books

Carol Awards (ACFW)
Jan-March 2011
American Christian Fiction Writers
$35, an additional $35 for debut category
Submit 3 copies, 3 extra for debut category

Inspirational Reader's Choice Awards (FHL)
March 2011 $25
Faith, Hope & Love Chapter of RWA
Submit 4 books
Finalists 3 more books

Beacon Contest for Published Authors

March/April 2011
First Coast Romance Writers
$25
Submit 3 books

Maggie Awards for Excellence for Published
May 2011
Georgia Romance Writers
$20
Submit 4 copies

Laurel Wreath Award
Aug 2011
Volusia County Romance Writers
$20
Submit 3 copies

4 comments:

Wow, this is great. Thanks so much for sharing. Ive been encouraging my writing group members to enter contests so this will be helpful.

Jan, You are very welcome! If all goes well, I plan to post contests for unpublished writers on Monday.

Thanks so much for the info! I wrote an autobiography of the extreeme trials that we faced in life, and how God brought us through those trials. I self published, "Out of the Fire & Into the Light"

Do you know of any contests that I could enter?

Thank you for sharing! Lori

Thanks, Jennifer. I bookmarked this page.