This is an old blog that I started in 2006. I keep it because it has a lot of historical data and people still come here. As of September 2016, no new updates will be made here. All new blog posts and writing/publishing related news will be posted over on my new site at www.jenniferhudsontaylor.net.

Monday, October 18, 2010

New Writers Seeking Mentors


By Jennifer Hudson Taylor

From time to time, I receive requests from new writers seeking a mentor on their road to publication. It's true the journey to publication can be long and hard. For me, it was a 14-year process. A little bit of help along the way is so valuable. There are many unspoken rules in the industry that long-time writers know that new writers may not. The only way to discover these tidbits of information is to put in your time on the writing loops, submitting and gaining responses to your work, entering contests, joining writing groups that provide workshops and interaction with other writers. Another short-cut would be to find a mentor to guide you.

I've never mentored a new writer. It isn't because I don't want to, but because I still work a full-time job outside the home. The only way I can get my own novels written is to do so at night and on the weekends. Now that I have deadlines and promotion requirements, I have even less time than I did before publication. 

As a result, I offer my blog as a mentoring resource to other new writers. Let's interact here. I welcome your questions. Most of the time, if you have a question, someone else is lurking and would like to also know the answer. So don't be shy. Every question is valuable and will provide insight to others. Feel free to let me know if there are topics you would like me to blog about. In the meantime, here is a link to all my Writing Tips on this blog.

Also, if you are looking for a mentor and you're having trouble finding one, don't be discouraged. It isn't the end of the world. I never had a writing mentor and many of my published friends never had one either. Let God be the one to guide you. He's the best writing mentor of all.

4 comments:

It's kind of a scary thing to mentor, but I have been doing that through a writers group I started this year. Most of the members are newbies and it's been a challenge for me to know what to share and when to share it. Thanks for opening up your blog for questions. I'll be watching.

wow!! Thank you so much for visiting me!! I've always wanted to write fiction. I will spend some time later today filtering through your blog:) Your books look right up my alley. Which one do I read first?

Thank you for your kind comments. I think a lot of people have a book they would like to write. I have one I write on now and then. I need to get serious and and finish it.

Jan, Congrats to you! I hope it goes well for you.

Mandy, You're welcome. Read "Highland Blessings" as it is my debut novel. The sequel, "Highland Sanctuary," will release Oct 2011.

Callie, You're welcome and I agree about everyone having a story. Maybe my blog will inspire you to write YOUR story!