This is an old blog that I started in 2006. I keep it because it has a lot of historical data and people still come here. As of September 2016, no new updates will be made here. All new blog posts and writing/publishing related news will be posted over on my new site at www.jenniferhudsontaylor.net.

Monday, August 09, 2010

Using Faith to Build Confidence

By Jennifer Hudson Taylor

There are days when it is hard to stare at a blank screen and know just what to type. Other days, it is even harder to read through what you have last written and think, "This is horrible! What was I thinking?" Confidence begins to dissipate. 

It's even worse if you compare yourself to other people and their successes. 

Writing is both a gift and a talent--but so is confidence. Just like God gives us all a measure of faith, I believe He also gives us a measure of confidence. Even though faith is a gift, we still have to build it and stretch it to get through attacks and disappointments in life and to take risks. 

We use our faith when we try to build confidence. We use our faith when we keep going in spite of all the odds stacked against us. We step out in faith, when we are completely aware of the risks.

Regardless of what you do, whether it is writing, painting, singing, sculpting, your day job, raising your children, leading a ministry, surgery, or teaching, you must have a measure of confidence to complete the tasks set before you. The more confidence you can build in yourself, the better your chances of succeeding to your satisfaction, and the approval of those who matter to you--whether it be God, your parents, spouse, children, boss, clients, patients, customers, readers, or friends.

If you need to build confidence in your abilities, the best thing you can do is practice. Keep trying and don't give up. Consider different strategies. Pray for wisdom. Pray for God to build confidence in you. Pray for God to give you creative thoughts and ideas you haven't considered before. 

Step out in faith -- by doing what must be done. 

For me, I've got to type words on that blank screen. It doesn't matter that I don't know where the story is going. I must put something there to give myself something to build on for tomorrow. Just as one idea can lead to another, so can one word lead to another. I must keep typing. 

Like me, you must keep going!
Here are a few verses on confidence:

"For we have become partakers of Christ if we hold the beginning of our confidence steadfast to the end." (Hebrews 3:13, NKJ)

"Therefore do not cast away your confidence, which has great reward." (Hebrews 10:35, NKJ)

"According to the eternal purpose which He accomplished in Christ Jesus our Lord, in whom we have boldness and access with confidence through faith in Him." (Ephesians 3:11-12, NKJ)

3 comments:

I honestly do not believe you could have written about anything more perfect for today!!

I have struggled with confidence regarding a certain matter for many years. Where in this same area as a child my confidence could not have been greater. Amazing how decisions change more sometimes than we are currently aware of at the time.
I so very much needed to read your words today Jennifer, this was a wonderful birthday present and the timing was perfect. Thank you very much.
May our Lord bless your hands in all you do.
Bobbiray

Bobbiray,

I'm so glad this post was helpful to you. The Holy Spirit definitely knows timing.

Blessings,

Printed this part out. Need to keep walking with increasing faith day by day in Him and in my own life He is supposed to have control, lol. Have prayed often as I want to be a woman of faith. Juanita W
whisper97304@yahoo.com