This is an old blog that I started in 2006. I keep it because it has a lot of historical data and people still come here. As of September 2016, no new updates will be made here. All new blog posts and writing/publishing related news will be posted over on my new site at www.jenniferhudsontaylor.net.

Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Book Review - "Seasons in the Mist" by Deborah Kinnard

By Jennifer Hudson Taylor

I was swept away by Seasons in the Mist, a wonderful Christian fiction time travel.

First, I'd like to say that I've never read a Christian fiction time travel before. I've read plenty of secular time travels, but Seasons in the Mist was very refreshing. It allows one to use their imagination of another place and time with knowledge of today's world without all the sex and cursing that you sometimes read in secular novels. As a Christian, I think of God as the Father of Time. I loved the way the story weaved in the part about how God might have let Bethany travel back in time to help someone in particular or make some positive impact.

The characters were well-developed, and Deborah Kinnard knows her medieval history! The novel was well-researched, some of the best I've read in this time period. The progression of the plot was appropriate and didn't jar the read out of context and the romantic relationship between the hero and heroine was gradual, but realistic. I loved the language! Some people get all tripped up in medieval language, but I look at it as an opportunity to immerse oneself in the time period and a chance to learn.

There were a few elements that I thought were wrapped up too quickly at the end, but I don't want to give the story away. I will say that I felt quite sorry for Bethany's mother, and I know that my family would have been booking a ticket to the UK and making demands on Bethany's friend Sheila in spite of the fact that I had already talked to them on the phone. Yet, I did like the overall ending.

If you enjoy a good time travel, excellent medieval historical detail, a wonderful romance, and faith in characters you read about, then Seasons in the Mist, is a gratifying novel you don't want to miss!

Back Cover Description
Bethany Lindstrom is well on the way to achieving her goals as a graduate student in medieval history when her trip to Oxford goes awry. On an unplanned visit to Cornwall, while wandering around her hostess's ancient home she stumbles through an unseen portal into the fourteenth century.

Stranded in 1353, Beth knows she must find a way back to her own time or face a life of falsehoods and peril. But with the stern overlord, Baron Michael Veryan, she is swept into the intrigues of King Edward's court, which will test their mettle and their faith in God to the limits--and forever bind their lives together.

About Deborah Kinnard
When she isn't writing, Deborah Kinnard keeps busy with her husband and two daughters, her day job at a big Chicago teaching hospital, reading, playing guitar, participating in outreach team at church, and skiing in the winter. She is a member of American Christian Fiction Writers and serves as secretary to the Chicago-Northwest Chapter. Visit her website at: www.debkinnard.com.

2 comments:

I'm so glad someone is devoted to reading and reviewing such a wide array of material. Every time I read one of your reviews I tell myself, "Oh, I've gotta have that one!". Trouble is, I want them ALL.

Blessings,
Kathleen

Thanks, Kathleen! I wish I had more time for reading these days. But I've got to save time for writing!