This is an old blog that I started in 2006. I keep it because it has a lot of historical data and people still come here. As of September 2016, no new updates will be made here. All new blog posts and writing/publishing related news will be posted over on my new site at www.jenniferhudsontaylor.net.

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Book Review - "The Glassblower" by Laurie Alice Eakes


My Review
This is one of the most unique Heartsong Presents novels I've ever read, which is no small feat for the author, since there are so many guidelines to follow in category romance. It was well-written, interesting, and the characters were very likeable.This is one of those books you don't want to put down as you wonder how the conflicts will be resolved and the heroine, Meg Jordan, and the hero, Colin Grassick, will come together.

Colin is from Scotland and the author did a superb job with his Scottish accent. It made his character even more endearing, especially after he repeatedly comes to Meg's rescue and shows such tenderness in wanting to save his Scottish family back home from the destitution of poverty now that his father is gone.

While Meg is always being rescued by Colin, she is going around and rescuing animals and children. One feels Megs torn heart as she struggles with wanting to obey her father, but knowing that the man he has chosen for her is wrong.

I particularly enjoyed the faith theme of The Glassblower. The heroine is concerned that she is doing things her own way and not bothering to consult God in her decisions. As a Christian I want to please God, but I am living the only life I'll live on this earth and there are many things I want to accomplish before I leave it. As a result, I often find myself going about my own business and doing things my way, forgetting that I have given my life to Christ and it is no longer mine, but His. God may not mind me accomplishing my goals, but He doesn't want me to leave Him out of the process. He wants to be included, to help me, and for me to have faith in Him to handle the things I can't handle on my own. This book was a wonderful reminder of that.

Back Cover Description
Now that Colin Grassick, a master glassblower from Scotland has arrived to help at the Jordan glassworks, Meg Jordan'ss dreams of teach the poor, local children are coming true. Finally, someone will have time to make windows for the rural New Jersey schoolhouse, to keep out the cold--and vandals. But the vandalism continues and Colin, whom Meg as befriended, is injured in a suspicious accident at the glassworks.

To Joseph Pyle, the wealthy, arrogant man to whom Meg will soon be betrothed, the destruction of Meg's new windows iss inconsequential--as his wife, she will be forbidden from doing anything as common as teaching.

Why would Meg's father insist she marry a man like Jospeh and stay away from the endearing Colin? Me knows what--and who--she wants. But what does God want her to do?

2 comments:

I wan to read this one! Thanks for the review!
Rita

You're welcome, Rita. I hope you enjoy it.