This is an old blog that I started in 2006. I keep it because it has a lot of historical data and people still come here. As of September 2016, no new updates will be made here. All new blog posts and writing/publishing related news will be posted over on my new site at www.jenniferhudsontaylor.net.

Friday, February 19, 2010

Antebellum Homes in Charleston


By Jennifer Hudson Taylor

I love visiting Charleston, and it looks like I'll be going back to do some more research on one of my historicals. An excellent excuse for an adventure, don't you think?


Anyway, I thought I would share some photos of some antebellum homes from my last Charleston trip. The first image is of the Joseph Manigualt House built in 1803. At that time this was Wragg Borough and was considered "the country", outside the city limits of busy Charleston. The setting of this home will suit the new features of my story quite well. There were lots of planters and plantations near Charleston back then and they would go to "town" for business, church, shopping, and other attractions and social occasions.

The second house is 1 East Battery. This is on the eastern side of Charleston overlooking the bay. East Battery is named for the cannons that deployed here during the War of 1812. Thomas A. Coffin built this 3-story stuccoed brick mansion in 1850. He sold it to Louis deSaussure in 1858 and it is still referred to as the deSaussure House. 


This third house is on 52 Murray Blvd. It was the first to be built on this street. It is a 15-room home, built of Summerville brick with red Ludovici tile roofing. Many 19th century homes were built beside it creating a row down the street forever altering the surroundings of the nearby White Point where the famous pirate of the high seas Stede Bonnet was hung. 

In 1718 the famous Black Beard arrived in Charleston with a fleet of pirate ships. He seized several merchant ships and captured Councilman Samuel Wragg and his son and held for ransom. If only these homes in Charleston could talk--I can only imagine the tales they would tell!

6 comments:

Beautiful pictures. They make me want to go back in time for an afternoon. Someday, I am taking a vacation and visiting the South.

These are lovely homes. I used to live in Savannah, GA and the homes there are just as beautiful. Makes one dream :)

Happy weekend,
Jen

Oh, I loved Charleston when I visited there. How wonderful that you can go back to do research. We will be there again in the fall. Very inspiring city. My son in law grew up near there and graduated from the Citadel. He gave us the full historic tour with all the stories and viewpoints. It was wonderful.

Blessings!

I love Charleston -- I'm about 3 hours away from there -- we were there, actually, about three weeks ago.

I loved these old houses..so so pretty. I have never been to Charleston before..Im sure it's amazing!

What beautiful pictures! It looks like a scene from right out of a sweeping Southern romance :) Thank you for sharing!