This is an old blog that I started in 2006. I keep it because it has a lot of historical data and people still come here. As of September 2016, no new updates will be made here. All new blog posts and writing/publishing related news will be posted over on my new site at www.jenniferhudsontaylor.net.

Monday, December 14, 2009

What is Your Favorite Christmas Recipe?

I wanted to give everyone the opportunity to share their favorite Christmas recipe. If you're like me and you don't cook very often, you can just list your favorite dish. I hope to hear about some delicious meals and some wonderful food traditions in your family. I'll start with my family's Fruit Salad.

The Fruit Salad
My grandmother started the Fruit Salad and I've never known any other family that makes fruit salad like we do. I'm not sure if she got this from her mother or grandmother or where it came from. She's gone now and I can't ask her, but we carry on the tradition. And every year as I make the Fruit Salad, I think of her and miss her.

We get a huge mixing bowl (at least 4-qt size) and cut up five oranges in chunks, 4-5 tangerines in chunks, a can of chopped pineapples can pour in juice if you want, a jar of red cherries (8 oz) and pour in cherry juice, peel and cut up 4-5 apples in chunks, 3-4 bananas in small round slices, 1 lb. pecans or walnuts. You can add other fruits like pears and coconut. This year I plan to leave out the bananas. You can chop up the pecans or leave them whole.

Pour in a qt of 2% or whole milk, a qt of half and half. You can add a little more if you want. Sometimes we'll add extra fruit or milk to make a larger serving. It doesn't have to be exact. Add a cup of sugar and a 1 tb of vanilla extract. Mix and adapt to your personal taste and refrigerate until it's time to serve in bowls. We love our Fruit Salad.


What is your favorite Christmas dish? Please share.

3 comments:

I'm really into simple, so here's one of our family favorites. Likely you'll enjoy it too:

PINK CRANBERRY SALAD

8 oz. Cream Cheese
2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
1 cup whole cranberry sauce
8 ounces crushed pineapple, drained
1 teaspoon Vanilla
2 Tablespoons Sugar

Soften cream cheese. Blend in vanilla, mayo and sugar.

Stir in cranberry sauce and pineapple and pour
into mold or dish and chill overnight. Enjoy!

Sounds Yummy! Thanks for sharing.

Your blog is making me very hungry. We eat lefse, a Norwegian tradition that is kept in the USA, a potato "tortilla" that you spread with butter and sugar.