This is an old blog that I started in 2006. I keep it because it has a lot of historical data and people still come here. As of September 2016, no new updates will be made here. All new blog posts and writing/publishing related news will be posted over on my new site at www.jenniferhudsontaylor.net.

Friday, December 11, 2009

Traditional Christmas Desserts


I wanted to share a couple of traditional colonial recipes you can use for Christmas. Hope you enjoy!


Hasty Pudding

Exact amounts were not given in my booklet so you you might have to experiment. Bring a container of water and some salt to a boil in a heavy saucepan. Slowly pour in some yellow cornmeal, stirring all the while til the mix becomes thick enough so a spoon will stand up in it. Laddle the pudding into 3-4 small bowls. Drop some butter onto each portion, then sprinkle on ground nutmeg and some molasses. Serve hot.


Buttered Bakes Apples


Peel and core the apples, leaving them whole. Carefully butter a heavily-tinned plate and arrange the apples on it. Fill the holes left by the cores with powdered sugar, and sprinkle the apples with melted butter, then bake twenty minutes. Put a small amount of current jelly in each of the cores.

4 comments:

My mom used to do both of these. She would substitute Karo syrup for the molasses.

I loved baked apples. I'll have to try current jelly. I usually put butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and a touch of Allspice. It fills the house with such great smells.

I love these recipes. Thank you for sharing them!

Sia, I love baked apples, too.

Mary and Carla, Thanks! I hope you enjoy them if you try them.