This is an old blog that I started in 2006. I keep it because it has a lot of historical data and people still come here. As of September 2016, no new updates will be made here. All new blog posts and writing/publishing related news will be posted over on my new site at www.jenniferhudsontaylor.net.

Monday, October 26, 2009

Books to Movies


By Jennifer Hudson Taylor

Have you read any great books lately that would make a great movie?

Today I want to talk about books that are made into movies. How many of you find yourselves in the mood to watch a movie with your family on your home entertainment or would like to enjoy an evening out with the family at the theater, only to find that there isn't anything out that is decent and compelling for the whole family unless it's animated? 


Chances are, if there is something available, you've already seen it because the selection of family friendly movies is so limited. Or maybe it's the other end of the spectrum, there's another Batman, James Bond, or Spiderman movie and you're looking for a fresh storyline--something different for a change.

With all the great fiction out there, why aren't more books made into movies? I'm thrilled that there are a few new companies really making an effort to produce faith-based movies. Personally, I'd like to see more of these movies made from some of the awesome Christian fiction I've been reading. What book would you like to see made into a movie?


7 comments:

There are lots of books that I would love to see become movies! Unfortunately, as you said, we don't have a lot of choices sometimes and it can be really frustrating to try to rent or see something. I love Anita Shreve's writing and I think some of her books would make fantastic films.

I would like to see more books turned into GOOD movies. I understand there is so much in books than can't be translated into film or won't fit into the time limit. However, I have a HUGE problem with film makers taking liberties with the translation. My favorite book was made into a film a few years ago. It was only released on DVD (that says a lot). All they took from the book was the title, the character's names, and the very general plot line. Everything else (down to the main character's lack of braces and the color hair of one of the other m.c.) was so far off it was embarassing.

I'm alway wary of books-movies, but if it's a book I love, I usually go see it, just to see the interpretation (and see my characters in the flesh).

Jen

I think Francine Rivers' "Redeeming Love" would make a fabulous movie. As would her Mark of the Lion trilogy. And Angela Hunt's "The Justice" (I think that's what it's called -- the one about the female VP that becomes president and gets to name a S.Ct. justice?).

thank you for your insights and kind words on my blog today!

I read on Francine River's website that her "Redeeming Love" is in the making of a movie!! That's something to look forward too!

I didn't know that Redeeming Love is being made into a movie! It's one of my favorite books of all time. I hope they do the movie and book justice.

I like the movies that Hallmark made of Jannette Oke's Love Comes Softly series, but I think they ruined it by not keeping the characters the same. I know they probably couldn't help it, but it sort of bothered me.

Terri, you are very welcome!