This is an old blog that I started in 2006. I keep it because it has a lot of historical data and people still come here. As of September 2016, no new updates will be made here. All new blog posts and writing/publishing related news will be posted over on my new site at www.jenniferhudsontaylor.net.

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Book Review - "Prisoner of Versailles" by Golden Keyes Parsons


By Jennifer Hudson Taylor

My Review
A Prison her Versailles is enchanting story, full of historical information woven into romance, faith and suspense. The characters possess integrity, strength and perseverance. This is the first historical Christian book I've read that was set in France, and I must say, it was refreshing. While I enjoy American prairie romances and always will, it is nice to read something different. It has just enough flavor of the French language to give it a French flair, but not overwhelm someone who doesn't know the language.

As Madeleine Clavell is torn from her younger children by King Louis XIV's command, I felt the emotional turmoil and struggle she endured at the wails of her young daughter. The sense of her grief and aloneness from her husband's demise moved me. There is a sense of danger and fear of the unknown that keeps one reading to find out what will happen next and how they will escape. The specific elements I have discussed occur near the beginning and do not ruin the outcome of the story. I hope you will get a chance to read this book. I highly recommend it.

Italic
Book Description:
King Louis XIV's burgeoning palace is the place to be--and be seen. And the last place on earth Madeleine wants to be. She's trapped there as a pampered prisoner. If she stays in France, she'll be forced to deny her faith. By escaping the king's long arm, she may find freedom--but it will cost her everything she holds dear.

Madeleine will need courage, hope, and total faith in God to outmaneuver the Sun King and reach her true destiny--and love--in another country.

A Prisoner of Versailles continues the Darkness to Light saga that began with In the Shadow of the Sun King. (Note: I have not read the first book and was able to read and follow this book just fine.)

To learn more about the author, Golden Keyes Parsons, visit her website.

7 comments:

Your reading disciplines must be finely honed. I am amazed at your coverage, as well as your insights. I've yet to read one of your reviews that hasn't left me wanting to purchase the book.

Now I only need to figure out how to get through the stack of some umpty-umpty I've yet to read!

Blessings,
Kathleen

Thanks for the review; I love high quality books that take place in France. It's my way of visiting.

Sounds like a great book. Adding it to my wishlist now. Thanks for the great review!

Juile =)

I am new to you lovely blog.

Thanks for a wonderful review of Prisoner of Versailles.

Author Linda Weaver Clarke is giving away a book on my blog. I hope you and your readers will stop by. :)

This was a great review! I love historical novels and this is one I'll be adding to my to-read list. Thanks for the recommendation!

Thanks, everyone!

Golden is a good friend of mine who is part of my historical writing group. She's a great writer. I hope to read more of her books.

Thanks for the great review. I'm so glad you enjoyed reading about the history of my French Huguenot heritage. I think we do not understand sometimes the price that has been paid for our freedom to worship as we choose.

And I hope those of you who have not read "Prisoner" (and "Sun King" as well) will do so. I was glad to read, Jennifer, that not having read "Sun King" you could follow the story line fine.

Blessings to all!