This is an old blog that I started in 2006. I keep it because it has a lot of historical data and people still come here. As of September 2016, no new updates will be made here. All new blog posts and writing/publishing related news will be posted over on my new site at www.jenniferhudsontaylor.net.

Friday, May 29, 2009

WWII Military Uniform


By Jennifer Hudson Taylor

As time marches on, WWII is becoming an historical era that novelists want to write about more often. Personally, I enjoy the time period because it reminds me of all the stories my grandmother told me when she lived through that era. I miss her and reading a book set during WWII reminds me of her. The photo to the left was taken around 1938 of my grandparents, Christine Watkins Hudson and Lee Thomas Hudson.








This military uniform belonged to Robert Taylor of Charlotte, NC. He was drafted into the Army in September 1943. He served as a medical technician for two years. It is now located at the Charlotte Museum of History.

Does anything remind you of your parents or grandparents from another time and place?

2 comments:

Thanks for this post, Jennifer. I have always enjoyed looking at military memorabilia. It reminds me of my grandparents and my father.

My mom's dad served in the Army air corp during WWII and the Korean War. My grandmother has photos of him in his uniform, his hat perched jauntily at an angle as they all were back then. He's smiling, a pipe between his teeth.

One of my favorite movies is "White Christmas". Everytime I watch it, I'm reminded of my grandfather and the old photos of he and my grandmother. The songs, the costumes, everything reminds me of them.

My father served in the Air Force in Vietnam. I think of him often, especially when I see bumper stickers that identify the driver as a "Vietnam Vet". I'm very proud to have two brave, patriotic gentlemen in my family line.

Thanks for giving me pause to remember them on this beautiful Friday!

(And thanks to ALL our service men and women! We love and appreciate you. God bless you and your families and come home soon!)

Amen to what JStantonChandler said of our military men and women. In doing the genealogy research, I have found members of my family that served in the Revolutionary War, War of 1812, Civil War, WWI and WWII, but not since then. So all the military/war heroes in my family have passed on. I appreciate them and those of today so much!

Thank you for my freedom!