This is an old blog that I started in 2006. I keep it because it has a lot of historical data and people still come here. As of September 2016, no new updates will be made here. All new blog posts and writing/publishing related news will be posted over on my new site at www.jenniferhudsontaylor.net.

Friday, April 03, 2009

Sullivan Island Lighthouse


By Jennifer Hudson Taylor

The Sullivan's Island Lighthouse is located off the South Carolina Coast not far from Charleston. It was the last lighthouse built in the state in 1962 as a result of the shifting channel in the Charleston Harbor.

Although this is a more recent structure, historical records from the archaelogical database of the National Maritime Initiative and the U.S. Coast Guard Historian's Office indicate that in 1848 a small lighthouse stood on four brick piers southwest of Fort Moultrie. In 1888 a red light was added as a reflective light on a pyramid-shaped tower.
The current structure stands 163 feet tall and is anchored by steel girders and a concrete foundation to withstand hurricanes. It is the only lighthouse in the U.S. that contains an elevator as well as stairs. Offices are located inside and they are air conditioned. Another modern convenience is a backup generator at the base. The lights have a range of 26 miles and are on an automatic rotation.
This lighthouse is a Coast Guard Compound and is not open to the public. You have to cross a drawbridge to get to the island, or go by boat.

3 comments:

That's a unique looking lighthouse.

That is a strange lighthouse! I must say I prefer the traditional looking ones.I think I was on that island when I lived in Charleston for 6 wks??

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for stopping by. I would LOVE to live in the carolinas. I think God made a big mistake by putting me in California.

I'd make a great southern belle, don't ya think?

Your book looks very interesting. Who is your agent and publisher? I am at Mt. Hermon writers conference this week. I'm surrounded by writers right now. Pinch me, I think I've died and gone to Heaven.

A bunch of people as odd as myself. Way cool.

Blessings, Joanne :O)