Friday, December 05, 2008

Rural Hill Farm - Scottish Heritage


By Jennifer Hudson Taylor

I wanted to tell you about a delightful place that my family visited a couple of months ago. It's the Rural Hill Farm - A Scottish Heritage in Huntersville, North Carolina. Rural Hill is on a colonial plantation that was owned and farmed by the Davidson family. They emigrated from Dundee, Scotland in the 1730's and arrived to the Carolinas by way of The Great Wagon Road from Pennsylvania.


The house above on the left is a reconstruction of a log cabin. The stone structures in the photo on the right are the remnants of the original Davidson Plantation Home. It was built in 1788 and was the home of John Davidson and his wife, Violet Wilson Davidson. There is a watercolor painting of it what it might have looked like before it burned. The Davidsons advocated education and had two schools on their property one for white children and another one for colored children.

Today, they have the Amazing Maize Maze you can wander through in the fall. They always do an educational theme and create a treasure hunt out of it. And don't worry, if you get too lost, they give your group a huge flag you can hold up for assistance. This was helpful as we had my father-in-law with us and he has a heart condition and couldn't finish. In the photo above, Dwayne, my husband, is holding the flag. Winston, my father-in-law is resting, Celina, my daughter, is next to him. Helen, my mother-in-law is next to her, and then me. They provide tents where they sell food, give hay rides and offer tours if you're interested in the history.

You can tour their historical buildings and their preservation/recontruction projects. In the spring they have a number of events. They host the annual Loch Norman Highland games at Rural Hill, which usually occurs in April. Check out their website for more information if you're interested in attending, http://www.ruralhill.net/. Other events include Sheep Dog Trials and Kilted Clay Shoot, etc. They are also featuring a group trip to Scotland.

I would love to visit that great country, especially since I have so many ancestors from there. (Morgans, Fraizers, MacGregors, Galloways) And my husband's family has ancestors from there as well. (Campbells, Hendersons, Grants) I guess my daughter is full of Scotch-Irish blood! But I can't afford the trip just yet. But I'm praying I will--soon!

I'll be posting more Scotch-Irish/Celtic sites and historical information since Promised Blessings, my Scottish Medieval, will be out in Spring 2010! I'm also doing Scotch-Irish research on my family history and planning to write more books in this genre.

5 comments:

Hi Jen,

I am related to the MacGregors as well. I have some interesting family history, that we both might be a part of. When the MacGregors were established in Maryland in the 17th century, the name was changed to Magruder. The Magruders grew to be a pretigious Washington DC family. My great-great-grandmother was Ann Selina Magruder, who was cast out of the family when she married without her father's permission in 1864.

That is a really cool post. It fits right in with what I said about your blog on my blog. And then I linked it in my post because I gave you a Butterfly Award.
Angie

Rita,

Then we must be long distant cousins! My line of the MacGregors goes by Gregory. I find researching family history so interesting and inspiring to me as a writer.

Cool Post I like history