This is an old blog that I started in 2006. I keep it because it has a lot of historical data and people still come here. As of September 2016, no new updates will be made here. All new blog posts and writing/publishing related news will be posted over on my new site at www.jenniferhudsontaylor.net.

Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Author Interview - M.L. Tyndall


I want to introduce you to Marylu Tyndall. She's a wonderful historical author who writes about interesting characters with unique plots and great tension and conflict between her heroes and their heroines. In short, she writes a great turning-page Christian historical romance. The very kind of books I love to read.

For those who leave a comment, I'll enter your name in a drawing and Marylu will send you a signed copy of her latest release. Be sure to leave a working email address in your comment.

Jenn: Describe yourself for our visitors. (ex. hobbies, favorite music, ministries).

ML: I've been married to a wonderful man, George, for 16 years and we have six children, ages 18-28. We live in Northern California, but I much prefer Florida where I grew up! It's too cold up here! I love Alternative Christian Rock, I suppose because I grew up in the 70's with all that incredible rock and roll. Hobbies? I wish I had time for hobbies, but if I did, I would pick up oil painting again. I just love to oil paint and really miss it, but had to put down my brush in favor of my laptop (for writing) I love cats and at the moment we have 4, but we often pick up strays here and there. My ministry is my writing. I truly believe that being a Christian writer is a calling and God uses us to reach hurting people through our stories.

Jenn: How do you find time to connect with God?

ML: Spending time with the Lord is the most important thing any of us can do each day. He is our source of life, strength, wisdom, health...etc. So, I determine to spend time with Him first thing in the morning before my hectic day begins. I know we are all so busy and it's hard to set aside this quiet time, but If you make it a priority and stick with it, you’ll see your faith and your relationship with God grow in ways you never imagined!

Jenn: Who are your favorite authors? Favorite books?

ML: Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, Captain Blood by Raphael Sabatini, The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy, The Mark of the Lion series by Francine Rivers.

Jenn: Tell us about your journey to publication.
ML: Well, it was more of a sprint, than a journey! I've always enjoyed writing and wrote as a hobby for many years, never expecting or trying to get published. When the Lord put on my heart to write a novel about a Christian Pirate, I thought it sounded like a fun idea. That was in 2004. When I finished writing it, God, through a series of steps, led me to various groups and writer's helps, connected me with the right people, got me an agent, and 2 months after that, I had a contract for 3 books! I was shocked to say the least. It happened very fast, and that's why I know it was all God and none of my doing.



Jenn: Tell us about your current book. 

ML: The Falcon and the Sparrow is an adventure, romance spy story set in the tumultuous times of 1803 London when Napoleon was on his rise to power and had just set his sights on conquering the world. My heroine, Dominique, is sent to London as a governess for the son of a British Admiral to obtain important naval documents for the French. Born half-French and half-British, Dominique's loyalties lie with Britain, but Napoleon is holding her only brother captive and threatening to kill him if she does not do as he says. Things only grow more complicated when Dominique falls in love with the Admiral and comes to adore his son, William. Faced with a horrific decision to betray those she loves, Dominique also faces a vicious sister determined to get rid of her, a jealous suitor who is after the Admiral herself, and friends of the Admiral who have set their sights on having Dominique for their own.

Jenn: How did you come up with ideas for this book?
ML: My publisher asked me for an idea for a Regency romance, so I spent quite a bit of time doing research for the time period and place. During the research process, I usually come up with a number of different possibilities for story ideas. After much prayer, I decide on a spiritual theme that I want to portray in my story and then I choose a cast of characters to fit that theme. The plotline simply develops out of that. For this story, I was captivated by the rise of Napoleon and how the British were in denial about his claims to conquer the world. It sounded somewhat similar to what we hear in the news today.

Jenn: List your three most recent books (if applicable).
ML: I also have a trilogy out now called The Legacy of the King's Pirates: The Redemption, The Reliance, and The Restitution. The names of these books are also the names of the ships in the story and the theme of the stories. These are action/adventure/romances set on the wild seas of the 17th century Caribbean.

Jenn: What's next for you?
ML: I'm currently working on another trilogy set in Charleston, South Carolina in 1718, Charles Towne Belles. Each book follows the story of one of three sisters, all daughters of a British Admiral. Each sister's story represents one of the seeds in the parable of the sower in Matthew 13 where Jesus describes what happens when the seed of the gospel falls on different types of hearts. The first book, The Red Siren, is about a lady who becomes a pirate by night in order to acquire enough wealth to protect her sisters from unwanted marriages. It will be released in February 2009.
Jenn: Where can visitors find you online?

ML: My website:
http://www.mltyndall.com
My blog: http://crossandcutlass.blogspot.com/
or on Shoutlife at : http://www.shoutlife.com/profile_view.cfm?uid=12306

Thanks Jen for having me! God Bless.
_______________________________________________________________________

We Have Winner!
Congratulations to Ashley VanBuren!
I know you will enjoy this book because I have read MaryLu's work. Some have said they couldn't hardly put this book down once they started reading it. I'm looking forward to reading my copy. Please visit my blog again and if you think you'll forget to swing back by, consider signing up for my monthly newsfeed from my blog, It goes out on the 5th each month as a newsletter called Carolina Voices of Inspiration.

18 comments:

Great interview, Jen and MaryLu!! Would LOVE to win this book because I have heard so much about it, so sign me up.

Also, MaryLu, your premise for The Red Siren sounds absolutely AWESOME!! Can't wait to read it too.

Hugs,
JL

What a great interview! I love the premise of all your stories, Marylu! They sound romantic and exciting. I love to read the periods you're writing about. (Though I write contemporary.)

Please enter me in the drawing, Jenn! missytippens [at} aol {dot} com.

I loved this interview. It was very inspirational. While I'd never heard of Mary Lu before, I know of her now.

I hope to get your books soon.

Great interview. This book sounds so fascinating and I also await the newest ones.

Hugs,
Pammer

I loved your first books and can't wait to read more of your writing! It's so good!
Please enter me in the drawing.

ashley.vanburen[at]gmail[dot]com

I loved reading MaryLu's pirate series!!! And I would love to read her newest book!!! You can reach me at -

piercerocks18 [at] yahoo [dot] com

Thanks for this wonderfull chance of winning this book!!- Dreamer

MaryLu wrote, "I truly believe that being a Christian writer is a calling and God uses us to reach hurting people through our stories." It shows in her work and the way people react to it.

I appreciate the questions you asked that focused on the spiritual aspects. MaryLu really represents our Lord so wel in her books; I am sure she earnestly seeks His face and will.

Cathi H.
chassan2 at hotmail . com

Enter me in the drawing. This sounds good. spowell01(at)bellsouth(dot)net

That was a great interview! I would love the chance to win this book. Please enter me in the drawing. My email address is shryackmom[@]charter[.]net

Awesome interview! :) Please enter me into this drawing. purposedrivenlife4you(at)gmail(dot)com

Fantastic interview! I can't wait for the new series - sounds amazing!

Janna
ryanx6 at msn dot com

Loved reading about her and her writing! Her book sounds great:) I can't believe how young she looks and to have done so well!!:)

Jenn,

Thank you for a wonderful interview with Marylu. Her books sound like my cup of tea. I love historicals, pirate stories, colonial America, and Charleston! Please enter me in the drawing.

With blessings,
Susan
susanalverson(at)mac(dot)com

Marylu, like you I live in Northern California, love cats, dig the seventies music I grew up with, and write historical inspirational romance. Unlike you, I'm an unpublished writer. The story of your first sale is amazing. Truly a gift from God.

Great interview, Jennifer, and a very nice blog. Please enter me in the drawing for Marylu's book. I can be reached at keligwyn [at] earthlink [dot] net.

Wonderful interview! Would love to win this book. It is on my wishlist. Thanks for the chance!

cherierj(at)yahoo(dot)com

Can't wait to read this book because her pirate books were great!

Stormi
ladystorm282001@yahoo.com

Wonderful interview! Very well done and intriguing!
MaryLu, when we lived in No. Cal, we had visitors from Miami one July, and they said they'd never been that cold in FL in winter! It really is different. Both places are beautiful in their own way, though! And isn't it great that the Lord can use us wherever He puts us?

Please toss my name in the hat, too. I love Regencies. I have one on the back burner right now!

hope _ chastain [at] yahoo [dot] com (no spaces) Thanks!

The cover alone draws me to this book! I've read great reviews and would love to win a copy of this book. Thank you for the giveaway.

cjarvis [at] bellsouth [dot] net