This is an old blog that I started in 2006. I keep it because it has a lot of historical data and people still come here. As of September 2016, no new updates will be made here. All new blog posts and writing/publishing related news will be posted over on my new site at www.jenniferhudsontaylor.net.

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Rosedale Plantation

By Jennifer Hudson Taylor


Rosedale Plantation is located in Charlotte, NC and dates back to 1815. First of all, let me say that I don't know how this plantation house survived in this busy city. Everything is built up around it. I had been in Charlotte two years and had driven by the house so many times, I'd lost count, and I never knew it existed. If you blink while driving by it on the now busy street of Tryon, you'll miss it. I only found out about it while looking up historic places in Charlotte on the Internet. Of course, we had to go see it for ourselves.

The house is located in the Sugar Creek Community, although the nearby church spells their name as Sugaw Creek Presbyterian Church, which I suspect is derived from the south's accent. The church is within walking distance of Rosedale and it dates back to 1755. One of the interesting tidbits of information I learned on the tour, was that other children in the community stayed at Rosedale so they would be close enough to walk to school each day. The original school is still located on the corner of the church grounds, as well as three of their historical cemeteries.

Rosedale is a beautiful home, and Archibald Frew spared no expense during its contruction. He made several trips on the "Great Wagon Road" to Philadelphia for lavish items he wanted. Throughout North Carolina you'll see gray signs on the roads that refer to the "Great Wagon Road" a well-known path that many settlers took from the north to settle into the Carolinas. Most of the people in the Sugar Creek Community were Scotch-Irish.

Much of the furniture in the house have been purchased as period pieces from nearby auction sites or estates. For instance, this piano belonged to Mary Anne Williams (1833-1904). She was the wife of James Harvey Carson, Owner and Operator of Rudisill Gold Mine.

The piano was built around 1860. It has 85 mother of pearl keys, and has the ability to switch from the sound of a piano to an organ. I think it is absolutely beautiful. I love piano music, but I never had the blessing of lessons.

In the 1830's David Thomas Caldwell and his family occupied Rosedale. He was a medical doctor. The clothes below are similar to what David would have worn. The dress below is a recreation of a dress that would have been worn by the lady of the house.




Here is my daughter in the beautiful gardens beside the Rosedale plantation house. At this point we had already toured the house and I think she was getting tired, but I had to have more pictures. The one below is absolutely gorgeous. Notice the chained link fence behind it. I'm sure it is necessary to keep people off the property.




7 comments:

What beautiful pictures!

The dress is amazing!! And the fabric is suitably hideous.

Jenn,
Beautiful house. Isn't it amazing what we can pass by when we don't know it's there.
Keep visiting these houses. I love the pictures!

Jennifer,

Thanks for sharing this bit of history with your readers. The house is beautiful, and I like the dress, fabric and all.
The preservation of historical places such as Rosedale is so important. I live in a town rife with history that dates back to 1742. We have several historical plantation houses...Rose Hill and Prospect Hall. The historical district downtown is full of beautiful old homes and churches.

It's funny though. When I ask people in town if they know about Fort Frederick in western Maryland, just less than a hour away, they cock their heads and look puzzled. It's nestled along the Potomac River, and was build during the French and Indian War.

As a historical fiction writer, I love visiting these places. Gets my heart racing to write.

How beautiful! I'll have to add it the places I'd like to visit someday.

With Charlotte being such a large and busy city, I was shocked to discover there were still so many plantations here in the area that has survived. Thanks everyone for stopping by. And you write about some historical districts where you live, please let me know.