This is an old blog that I started in 2006. I keep it because it has a lot of historical data and people still come here. As of September 2016, no new updates will be made here. All new blog posts and writing/publishing related news will be posted over on my new site at www.jenniferhudsontaylor.net.

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Book Review - "Her Unlikely Family" by Missy Tippens



By Jennifer Hudson Taylor

Book Description
Take responsibility for his orphaned niece, yes. Raise her himself, no. A good boarding school was what the girl needed, not an uncle who was never home. But then Michael Throckmorton's niece ran away. And the big-hearted, beautiful diner waitress who'd taken her in wasn't letting her go so easily.

Josie Miller had a few conditions for Michael. Oddley enough, he was willing to listen. Yet days later, why wasn't he hauling the teen back to school and himself back to the city? Could it be that an unlikely family was forming?

My Review
This was Missy's debut novel and I loved it! The opening line pulls you in right away (see my previous post on Great Beginnings). The characters are distinct and grab you from the start. The situation of these characters has the right amount of emotion to move you as you come to care about the people in this story. In fact, I don't want to call them characters. I want to call them people. The conflict is believable and real. Families deal with these kind of stresses all the time. While Michael has a business background like most men, he is definitely teachable and willing to change. The transformation that takes place in him and Josie is gradual, and perfect. It isn't rushed and Missy brings it about in a way that makes it seem natural.

I won't spoil the ending, but I will say I loved it that Josie had pink hair and Lisa had green hair. And when I discovered the reason for Josie's pink hair, that made it all the more engaging. I'm looking forward to reading more from Missy Tippens.

3 comments:

Jennifer,

I'm glad you enjoyed it! Thanks so much for posting a review.

I really enjoyed Josie's pink hair, too. I didn't exactly know why it was pink until I got further into the story. It's fun to discover those things while writing. :)

Missy

Sounds like an interesting book. I may add it to my reading queue.

NathanKP - The Ink Weaver Collection - Writing Blog

I would like to read this one too!