This is an old blog that I started in 2006. I keep it because it has a lot of historical data and people still come here. As of September 2016, no new updates will be made here. All new blog posts and writing/publishing related news will be posted over on my new site at www.jenniferhudsontaylor.net.

Thursday, January 03, 2008

Writing Devotion - Continue Earnestly

By Jennifer Hudson Taylor

This is the time of year that I like to reflect on my prayers and refocus on what I should be concentrating on. A while back I got in the habit of writing in a prayer journal so I could be diligent on what I'm praying and believing God for. And then I reserve those heartfelt prayers for when the Holy Spirit moves me to pray about other things that God has laid on my heart.

Three of my main prayers have been:
1. To be a better writer.
2. To receive a publishing contract.
3. To change lives and inspire people with my writing. (This is where a publishing contract would help me. Someone else would have to read my work besides my computer's hard drive.)

Sometimes when we keep hoping, praying, and waiting, we grow weary. I've been there. Days turn into weeks, into months, and then before you know it, years have gone by. And still, we wait. When this happens, all I know to do is keep going, keep trying, and not give up. But the temptation to give up is strong. What if we are praying for something that isn't God's will? It's worse than beating our heads against the wall.

This morning I was encouraged--again. I was reading Colossians and it said, "Continue earnestly in prayer, being vigilant in it with thanksgiving." Sometimes, God only wants us to persevere. Since we can't see the whole picture, we have to trust Him to know that His timing is perfect.

If you are believing God for something, and the wait seems to be wearing you down, hold on a little while longer. One thing that has helped me is adjusting my schedule, refocusing my concentration, and bearing my frustration to God. He's not only our heavenly Father. He's also our friend and He listens and his Holy Spirit will guide us and give us comfort through those difficult days and nights.

For me, I simply needed a break from writing and I took it over the holidays. Now I feel refreshed, motivated, and I have new ideas. Sometimes all God wants is for us to relax and rest so we can hear Him better. Don't be afraid to take a break. It isn't the same thing as quitting. It's recharging your mind, body, and spirit.

3 comments:

Love this post Jenn. I think we should copy it and read it all year.
I too have started a prayer journal. It's weird how we are on the same track without talking to each other...Hmmm...Maybe a higher power putting us in sync with each other.

Thanks for sharing your insight. I always wonder about that too, what if I'm praying for something that isn't God's will? Not just in writing, but in anything. I hear you about days turning to weeks and weeks turning to months, etc. I think your post speaks on a lot of levels!

Absolutely. And sometimes taking that break is necessary for your progress. Just because you aren't writing for a few days or longer doesn't mean your brain stops working! You can still be plotting and thinking about your story when ideas come to you.
But yes, you're right, ultimately we need to trust God in all we do. His timing is perfect.