This is an old blog that I started in 2006. I keep it because it has a lot of historical data and people still come here. As of September 2016, no new updates will be made here. All new blog posts and writing/publishing related news will be posted over on my new site at www.jenniferhudsontaylor.net.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The Carolina Renaissance Festival

By Jennifer Hudson Taylor

This year was my first time attending the Renaissance Festival. My husband, daughter and I went with my sister-in-law, her daughter, granddaughter and grandson. We had a wonderful time. I had no idea this event was so HUGE! Even my husband enjoyed it.

All of the rides were authentic in that there was no electricity to run them (with the exception of the bungee jump). People actually had to use manual labor for the kids' rides and shows. Lots of folks were dressed up in period costumes and it wasn't just the people working there. Half the visitors wore period outfits. There were acrobats, fire eaters, music with harps, bagpipes, etc. The food was also from the Renaissance period with large turkey legs, bread bowl soups, steak on sticks, ear of corn, etc. For those soda drinkers, you could buy soda.

The Rides



The rocking horse was also pushed by someone. You may not be not be able to see them, but there are men pushing the boats around like a merry-go-round. They had it going pretty fast. My daughter got a little dizzy from it.






Below the kids are being carried like royalty. My daughter is in the middle between her two cousins. These poor guys were carrying kids all over the place. I know they had to be worn out by the end of the day. They get a huge workout. 










Below on the right is my daughter up in the air on the bungee jump ride. Adults were having just as much fun on this as the kids. If I hadn't been close to running out of money, I might have tried it.















The Games



There were so many games and activities, we couldn't possibly try them all. But I did find a few I enjoyed. They had some stick game that I couldn't figure out how to do, but it wasn't for a lack of trying. Then I bruised my arm up shooting archery, but after I got the hang of it, I began to hit the bulls eye in the target. My husband was so impressed, he's decided to buy me an archery set.



















The Music

I love music so I enjoyed listening to the harpist play, and the bagpipes have always intrigued me. I used them in my Scottish Medieval novel. Music was one of the best forms of entertainment during this time period. While music is still very important today, we incorporate it in all our electronic forms of media in movies, video games, websites, etc.




















The Knights in Shining Armor

And of course there was the jousting contest between the good and bad knights for England's king and queen. The competition was fierce, but the good knight won.

If you've never been to a Renaissance Festival, I would highly recommend it, especially if you love history like I do. Even when something isn't quite as authentic as it could be, I try not to be too critical as people who put things like this on are trying their best and put in a lot of hours of hard work. A couple of negative things were a few fortune teller booths and some dresses that showed a little too much at the top, but overall I thought this was a great event where families can enjoy themselves and learn a lot about the Renaissance Period.

8 comments:

Sounds like a wonderful time! I'll have to look for a RF in my neck of the Rockies, which could be a difficult task.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Oh, this looks so fun! I went to one in England once that was at a Castle. It was wonderful.

Many Congrats on Promised Blessings!

I know you had a great time, Jenn. There's a big one in the DFW area that's held in the spring. For the last two years we've said we need to go again. The boys loved the place. Aren't the rides cool? Amazing what you can come up with a little ingenuity.

Looks like a lot of fun! Thanks for sharing!

I remember the first one of these Alice and I attended in IL. It was 98 outside and one of the most miserable days ever. Dusty, dirty, sweaty, etc.
Your day sounded much more fun! We'll have to put it on the schedule for next year.

Jenn,
I haven't been to the RF in a long time. My brother goes every year. He and his family love it.
I'm glad you had a great time and I enjoyed seeing the pictures.

THanks for stopping by my blog, Jennifer. I'm glad I found yours. The festival looks wonderful!!

Looks like a lot of fun! I've never been, but my oldest has been several times with a class or with grandparents and always comes back with fun stories. That rocking horse looks a little on the scary side for me :)