This is an old blog that I started in 2006. I keep it because it has a lot of historical data and people still come here. As of September 2016, no new updates will be made here. All new blog posts and writing/publishing related news will be posted over on my new site at www.jenniferhudsontaylor.net.

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Devotion - The Author and Finisher of Our Faith

By Jennifer Hudson Taylor

I was a long distance runner in high school and I could run lap after lap at a steady quick pace, but toward the end I'd kick it in high gear and finish the race at a sprint. My dad taught me this strategy because a lot of times when my opponents finished running 8-12 laps, they were out of energy and didn't have a kick. If a race was close, this was my ticket to winning.

I write like this. I go at a steady pace scene after scene and chapter after chapter, but when I see the end I'm so tempted to sprint. I want to finish the book so I can type "The End" to my work. I know that I'm going to go back through it again and edit, so that makes the temptation so much greater.

Right now I can see the end to my manuscript, By His Plan and I have to keep reminding myself to slow down. Think about the consequences of each scene, the actions of each character, and every word that is said. What do I want the characters to accomplish? Toward the end of a book, the growth experience of the main characters is so important and it must be articulated in a way that is appropriate and impactful. It must be strong to make the reader close the book with a satisfied smile, but walk away pondering the meat of the story, hopefully inspired with the planting of more faith seeds.

Since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. (Hebrews 12:1-3)

2 comments:

When I used to ride Centuries, they called that "the horse smelling the barn" syndrome. :)

I cannot imagine what it would be like to be laboring that long and hard, getting that close to the end, and trying to rein in the enthusiasm to finish. I suppose that is where discipline, dedication, and desire pay their dividends.

Thanks for the insight. I'm praying for you.

That's the same thing my dad taught me! I, too, ran long distance in HS. Sprint at the end, finish strong. It's so hard not to apply a quick finish to a novel. It's awesome that you can see the end!