This is an old blog that I started in 2006. I keep it because it has a lot of historical data and people still come here. As of September 2016, no new updates will be made here. All new blog posts and writing/publishing related news will be posted over on my new site at www.jenniferhudsontaylor.net.

Saturday, March 17, 2007

Making Progress


Last week Dwayne and I took my nine-year-old daughter bicycle riding in the park. It was perfect weather and such a wonderful, warm afternoon. For those of you who don't know, my daughter has special needs and some delayed development from a seizure disorder she had as an infant.

She peddled so slow that I could walk beside her. I gave up riding my bike after a while. If she got fast enough to where I could do a fast walk, she would hit the breaks and stop. "I'm going to fast!" She yelled.

I tried not to show my impatience. The Lord reminded me that sometimes this is how we are with Him. He's trying to get us to move on and do more or overcome a fear, and we keep breaking in the the middle of it, prolonging the process. Sometimes we go through something longer than we have to, because of our fear and how we react to the situation.

In the same way that I knew Celina could go faster and would be fine, God knows that He hasn't allowed more than we can handle upon our shoulders. He knows that we are going to get through our trials and be fine. We may even learn a few things in the process. For Celina, it would be learning to ride a bike.

Her little hands gripped the handle bars so tight that she wore blisters on her skin. We talked about fear being of Satan and not of God. Sometime later she began singing,


"In the name of Jesus; In the name of Jesus; Satan you have to flee;

In the name of Jesus; In the name of Jesus; We have the victory!"

Pride swelled in my chest, the good kind of pride. She was using her faith and trust in God to keep going and facing her fear. She rode for a solid two hours. I know she had to be tired and her little muscles ached. She would not give up. She would look up at me and say, "Aren't I doing good, Mommy?" She needed that affirmation, just like we sometimes need from our heavenly Father. I told her she was doing wonderful. "Look how far I've come, Mommy!" I would smile and nod. It was a long way.

Celina had such a fear of falling and she finally fell twice. It gave me the chance to point out that even though she had fallen and she didn't like the fall, she was okay. Sometimes the fear of falling is worse than the actual fall.
____________________________________________________________
Today is my day to blog on F.A.I.T.H., go to http://writingbyfaith.blogspot.com and check out my post on TRUST - God's Perfect Work in You.

5 comments:

Jennifer,
I have to tell you I LOVE the photo of you and your daughter!!! It's so awesome!
I want to tell you how much this post meant to me. I sometimes struggle with the feeling, "I'm going too fast..." It's okay, God is telling me I'll be okay.

Angie

Thank you, Angie!

And yes, you are going to be okay. God has you in the palm of his hand.

Jenn,
I agree with Ang. Great photo! And an equally great post. Thanks for reminding us to slow down. Enjoy the beauty and the moment.

Jennifer,
Thanks for sharing this meaningful post. I struggle with impatience.

I love the picture of you and your daughter. She is so precious!

Good words! Be blessed!