This is an old blog that I started in 2006. I keep it because it has a lot of historical data and people still come here. As of September 2016, no new updates will be made here. All new blog posts and writing/publishing related news will be posted over on my new site at www.jenniferhudsontaylor.net.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Celebrating the Crossover

This month marks a one-year anniversary of when I felt led to switch from secular fiction to Christian fiction. I knew I needed to be writing for the Lord--to glorify Him. This was not an immediate decision. I pursued publication in the secular market from 1996 to 2002. It was at the end of this year I took a three-year break from my writing. During this time God dealt with me and I grew and changed.

In October 2005, the desire to write again hit me. I couldn't imagine writing for myself as I did before. While I was not a new Christian, I had experienced a spiritual renewing in my life. Writing was part of my life and I felt this spiritual renewness should reflect in my writing.

Now one year later, I've converted two complete manuscripts from secular to Christian. I've plotted five new novels and started writing two of them. I have a well-respected agent representing my work. I've created a website, this blog, and a newsletter. Soon I will join six other writers on a new blog and I've agreed to serve on the Public Relations Committee of American Christian Fiction Writers.

Today, one year later, I also received another rejection from a publisher that had requested revisions. For the first time in my writing career, I didn't feel the pain of rejection that I usually feel. If I didn't know better, I would claim that I'm just becoming immune to it after all these years, but I do know better. I know that isn't the case. I feel a peace and a trust that I didn't have before.

I have given my writing over to the Lord. If it wasn't meant for me to be published by that particular publisher then I'm okay with it. I know God will bring about the circumstances to match me up with the right publisher for my writing style. During my three years sabatical from writing, God taught me that sometimes timing is everything. You cannot reap a harvest when you are in a planting season. Right now I am in a season of restoration in my personal life--spiritually, emotionally, financially, perhaps in my writing life as well. I've only been writing a year since my three years of nothing. I look forward to the things God has planned for my writing career. I will keep writing and keep submitting, until my season of publication comes.

Visit my website at www.authorjenniferhudsontaylor.com.

4 comments:

How great you're on the PR committee! And it's so neat how God is giving you so much peace even in the face of a R. I still struggle with any type of rejection, both personal and professional.

camy

Camy,
Thanks. Believe me, this is the first time I have felt peace in the midst of a rejection. Usually, I have a few days of self-pity and depression. My husband isn't sure what to expect. He keeps watching me, waiting to see if a delayed reaction will set in. It makes me realize how much of my writing really affects him.

Jennifer--
What a great testimony! Isn't it wonderful how when we hand over what's most precious to us to the Lord, He will take away the sting of rejection?

So glad you'll be involved in ACFW's PR committee! Looking forward to a great year!